Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The new Miss Jackson



Janet Jackson is one of those artists I've been "following" for a little time now. For me, the revelation was probably in 1993 with "Again" and the whole "That's the Way Love Goes" era. I was in heaven with the "Velvet Rope" album (1997) and I even liked "All For You" (2001)... More recently, it seemed the 2000s were not so kind to Miss Janet with more lukewarm albums that went unnoticed like "Damita Jo" (2004), or does someone even remember "20YO" (2006). Yeah I thought so.

In a nutshell, as a loyal fan, I'm going to buy "Discipline" on its release day. The latest single "Feedback" with its tragically kitscho-cheap video didn't totally convince me...



Some tracks are fierce and strike when first heard. My good ol' Janet is back! What I like most: "Rock With U", "2Nite", "Can't B Good", "Never Letchu Go" and "What's Ur Name". Of course, there're still the same corny interludes in which she pretends to confide, but the tracks are still good and well produced. Another thing I'm not too keen on: the artwork... I love Janet but isn't she getting a little old playing this faux-provocative leather-clad style?

What I want to hear here is a very surprising track. So what's the sample? Yes, it's Daft Punk! That's what I call intelligent recycling because it's not stealing a good tune (even though, unless I'm mistaken, the Versailles duet is not credited...) but simply the reuse of a super-effective gimmick.

No comments: