Friday, February 22, 2008

Eliane Elias


I already had the chance to listen to some notes of "Dreamer" (2004), an Eliane Elias album that recieved raving reviews when it was release. Unfortunately it was almost released at the same time as Bebel Gilberto's eponymous album and I chosed that one back then. Since then, amusing circumstances helped me get back to Eliane Elias, I simply met her delightful daughter last summer, Amanda Elias Becker. When the different pieces of the puzzle assembled in my head, I listened again to this wonderful artist (singer, composer and pianist - Vinicius de Moraes discovered her) of today's Brazilian scene.


The most striking thing about Elias, is her radiant beauty, probably highly emphasized of her albums' covers. Visually already stunning! After that, I can only savor the roundness of the chords, the softness of the voice, the sensuality or the rhythm. It's the most sensible mix of bossa and jazz. The subtlety of this modern sound that finds its roots deep buried in local folk is almost magic!


"Around The City" (2006), one of her latest albums to date, is a wonderful musical journey. With unexpected covers such as "Jammin'" by Bob Marley or classics like "Oye Como Va" by Tito Puente, Eliane Elias puts up real treasured gems and ear candies like "Running", "Around The City" or "Segredos."

Her website: www.elianeelias.com

No comments: