Saturday, December 1, 2007

Jay Brannan

I was very lucky last night to attend Jay Brannan's first concert in France. In a very small vvenue, a recording studio in the Bastille area, 100 people were gathered to religiously listen to the young writer-composer-singer revealed by the excellent John Cameron Mitchell movie "Shortbus".

One song struck me particularly: "Goddamed". With violent anti-religious lyrics. My friend and I were both very touched by this complex tune that Jay delivered halfway through the show...



On Jay's YouTube page, you can find all of his videos. He records them himself with his Mac until his first album is produced, in 2008. Here's the "Shortbus" sequence that initiated the success Jay's experiencing right now.



I can't resist posting the video to the trailer of "Shortbus", I can only recommand this movie to everyone, even if it's definetly not for all audiences.

No comments: